Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Humpity-Hump...and Things that Go Bump

Guess what day it is...yep. Humpity-hump day. It's come a bit early this week, or so it seems. With the Martin Luther King holiday we've celebrated here in the US, my days have gotten a bit mixed up. Tuesday seems like Monday, and I thought tomorrow was Tuesday, and lucky for me, I've got a calendar that gives me little reminders.

Enough about my confusion. It's a state of mind, they say. I think I've taken up permanent residence in that state.

On with today's hook! This little snippet comes from "Happily Ever After". Here, George Mather is awakened in the middle of the night. His daughter, Rowena, is having a frightening nightmare.






She sat in the center of her big bed, eyes squeezed shut, flailing her arms at some unseen enemy. One high-pitched shriek followed upon another.

George seized hold of her hands. Rowena fought against him, twisting and turning like a creature possessed. When she drew away, he lunged after her, caught her around the middle, and pulled her onto his lap. Her terror gave her strength. It took every bit of effort George could muster to hold her. She squirmed and struggled to free herself from his grasp, but he wrapped his arms tightly around her and whispered her name over and over, refusing to let her go. Gradually the horror diminished. Her shrieking turned to shuddering cries. The cries at last became faint whispers…and finally subsided into silence.

HAPPILY EVER AFTER 

 IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE 
 FROM 
 SECRET CRAVINGS PUBLISHING 
 AND OTHER ONLINE BOOKSELLERS

Click HERE for purchase information

For more HUMP DAY HOOKS, click HERE




14 comments:

  1. Oh, poor girl. Her nightmare must have been pure terror. A great description though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful description! Those kind of nightmares are hard to pull yourself out of. I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous description in this hook! Felt like I was right there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my...night terror is so painfully difficult!! Wonderful captured in this hoook. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, been there and you really captured night terror well. Great hook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to have a strong, caring father who staves off the boogie man. I want to know more of them. Great hook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How scary for her. Lovely hook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, now I am reeeally wondering if these dragons are real! Great hook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. absolutely terrifying! well done!

    ReplyDelete